Days Until Christmas....

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Painting with Brenda

My dear friend, Brenda (from www.BrushedByAnAngel.etsy.com), is a wonderful decorative painter.  She makes beautiful ornaments, decorations, wall hangings, and more.  In fact, if it stands still long enough, it will likely get a coat of paint, a cute little face, or a beautiful rose added to it!

Brenda recently mentioned she could teach me to paint.  (I had attempted before.  Sorry Donna Dewberry, but you helped very little on my past attempts!)  Brenda was optimistic and with her encouragement.  I agreed to try again.  Time flies when Brenda and I chat on the porch swing.  Well, if the worst that could happen would be us spending an afternoon together laughing and chatting, and I might learn to paint a simple shape,  then I'd take the chance!  Brenda got the brushes and acrylic paint ready!
I did it!  Snowman Sled by Rebecca

I was stunned to see my first project when I arrived.  A painted sled  awaited me.  Brenda gave me a book to choose an idea of what to put on it.  The ideas in the book looked difficult.....a santa face or a snowman face?!  How was I going to do this?  Brenda was still looking optimistic as she put the sled in my hands, so I didn't share that I  actually thought I'd return home later that day with something that looked like it was  from my son's kindergarten art class!  It was my first real painting class after all!

Brenda is quite a teacher.  She has taught many projects to her local artist group.  She gave me a list of necessary supplies and explained painting terms to me.  She taught in an organized step by step manner and explained as she went.  Brenda slowly worked the techniques, like shading, and then had me practice the same.  She has many painting tricks from her years of experience, and is quite happy to share them, unlike many crafters that I've met who know, who guard their craft closely!  It was a pleasant afternoon.  And like time chatting on the porch swing, the time sped by!

I got home that evening and amazed my family with the sweetest snowman face painted on a sled wall hanging.  Brenda taught me to create eyes with a lively little sparkle, and make a unique grin for my little snow guy.   My snowman actually resembled a snowman!  Just like it was supposed to be!  I have much yet to learn, however, I'm not intimidated by the mighty paint and brush anymore.  The next time Brenda happens to mention "You could paint that",  I might even believe her!  In the meantime, I'll be practicing my painting and probably running to Brenda for help with the right techniques and tips often!


Check out Brenda's latest.  She's filling up her etsy store for the upcoming holidays.  She does beautiful work.  You are invited to view her etsy store and blog site!   She has a tutorial on her blog about how to paint a light bulb Santa!  It's fascinating how it progresses from a burned out bulb into such a jolly character!
www.BrushedByAnAngel.etsy.com   and www.BrushedByAnAngel.blogspot.com
Make sure you leave her a comment and tell her where you read about her!


(Isn't this a fun ornament?!)   www.BrushedByAnAngel.etsy.com

www.BrushedByAnAngel.etsy.com

4 comments:

  1. Well, you should be proud of yourself! You did a fabulous job and the snowman is simply adorable! I love it! Thanks for sharing it with us and have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO...

    WOW YOUR FIRST PAINTING TURNED OUT BEAUTIFUL :)
    I JUST PURCHASED ONE OF HER PRETTY SLEDS WITH HER HAND PAINTED ROSES IN PINK, SHE IS SUCH A SWEET LADY :) I WISH I COULD PAINT TOO :( MAYBE SOME DAY I WILL TAKE LESSON TOO :)

    XOX~MARI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from you!


    Experienced bloggers,
    Any thoughts on why the bottom pictures on my post are blank? (I viewed it yesterday evening after I published and it was fine. Today they are blank!) I would really appreciate suggestions on how to fix this!) The photos on the bottom are copied and pasted from Brenda's etsy shop......hmmmm!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Everyone-
    I replaced the pictures on the bottom with some jpg photos.....
    Fixed for now, but if anyone knows why my copy and paste photos only worked for a day, then please let me know for next time!
    Love,
    The New Blogger! (LOL).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are good. Please leave one!